The Congress should eliminate Medicare’s current skilled nursing facility (SNF) value-based purchasing program and establish a new SNF value incentive program (VIP) that:
- scores a small set of performance measures;
- incorporates strategies to ensure reliable measure results;
- establishes a system for distributing rewards that minimizes cliff effects;
- accounts for differences in patient social risk factors using a peer-grouping mechanism; and
- completely distributes a provider-funded pool of dollars.